Millstream Chichester National Park is a 200,000 hectare park surrounding the Fortescue River which echoes the soul of the Pilbara with its rugged gorges contrasting against tropical rock pools, meandering watercourses and water-lily blanketed wetlands. The heartland of the Yindjibarndi people, the park is of great Aboriginal significance as it is the home of the mythological serpent, the ‘Warlu’. The reserve is believed to hold almost two million cubic litres of water covering nearly 2,000 square kilometres – creating lush pools of great cultural significance.
- Python Pool: Superb – one of the park’s most scenic locations.
- Deep Reach Pool: Watch from the viewing deck or take the steps to the pool for a swim.
- Chichester Range escarpment: Stunning rock formations.
- Bicycle track: A 3km track starts near the visitor centre at the Old Millstream Homestead and winds through stunning scenery to Cliff Lookout.
- Walking trails: Take the 750m Homestead Trail around Jirndawurrunha Pool (Lily Pond), the Murlamunyjunha trail to Crossing Pool or the 8km Heritage Camel Trail. Be sure to cool off in rock pools and view the amazing wildlife.
- Camping facilities: Bush toilets and gas BBQs. Park maps and information are available from the visitor centre.
- Reading: ‘Ngurra Wardurala Buluyagayi: Exploring Yindjibarndi Country’ is a must-have book for travellers wanting to understand more about the traditional significance of the park.
- Millstream-Yarraloola Road: Unsuitable for buses, caravans, trailers or two-wheel drives.
- Millstream Homestead Visitor Centre: Find out about early settler history and nature information, obtain ranger contact details, phone card telephone.
- Miliyanha Campground: Close to the Homestead Visitor Centre with bush toilets and camp kitchen with hot water.
- Stargazers Campground: Facilities include bush toilets and gas.
- Day Pass: $13 per car, $7 for seniors and $7 for motorbikes. Day entry passes are available at park entry points.
- Holiday Pass: 4-week Pass: $46 (all parks in WA)
- Annual Pass: $92 (all parks in WA).
- Annual Local Pass: $23 per vehicle